Thursday, May 16, 2013

Capstone Reflection

In the months that I was shadowing my mentor (Dr. Patrick Cheng) a chiropractor in South San Francisco I gained a lot of knowledge from him. The topic of my research paper was child abuse and for my physical I decided to shadow a chiropractor. My experience was good, I learned about what he does and how much of a difference his job has to the community. I got to see how his job does so much to one person and actually getting the chance to watch a patient was just an honor for me because a lot of people want their privacy and for me to get that privilege was just great.

In the beginning of my journey I couldn't find something to relate child abuse to but I chose to do chiropractor because they relate by health. It was hard to know what I was doing because I didn't know what exactly a chiropractor did. In the end he taught me and tested me on what a chiropractor does. There job is something serious because if one thing is done wrong so much can be ruined. One of the challenges my mentor made me go through was knowing what exactly a chiropractor does because everyone has a different perspective on it.

My career field was something similar to a chiropractor which was something in physical theraphy even though they are too different things I wouldn't want to do any of it. Knowing the pain people go through is just too much too see. At first it grabbed my attention a lot but once I saw everything my mentor went through I didn't really have an interest. I was amazed by his work but it something I don't see myself doing just for the fact that it's too much to handle.

One of the challenges I had with my mentor was seeing him at the right time because he didn't have patients when I came in. One of my goals was to spend a lot of time with a lot of patients to see what other situations people went through and what other adjustments would the doctor would do. Even though this didn't happen I still got a chance to see a lot of patients and saw some of the things he did. I made a lot of progress because I asked a lot of questions and I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be. He gave me all the answers that I needed and always clarified what was needed even when I didn't ask.

In the end I gained so much knowledge from this experience and I am thankful that my mentor was there to help me through this process. He helped me a lot and took so much of his time to teach me what he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment